Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Finally...

...I can publish my posts again! I was waiting and waiting Azri to solve the issue with the server but seemingly the issue was that they don't host any AIESEC-related stuff anymore. Boring! Anywho, now the blog continues living and breathing in astikainen.blogspot.com.

As of late so many things have happened. Where to start... Well, work-wise things are pretty much routine nowadays. Though we got a great addition to our team, Sifaan! He was the first Sri Lankan I ever met (back in 2004 in Estonia) and his words initiated my interest towards this country back then. Goes around, comes around...

Living in the Dream House has been a bliss. I mean, who could complain of air conditioned room, own bathroom, all household gadgets (except TV that I don't miss), nice flat mates and hot water. It's really like a dream here. The dream became complete when Paula arrived about a month ago. Soon our roads depart again when she heads for new challenges in Prague with Finnpro. But at least till February we can enjoy each others' company.

Speaking of February, for a long while I was mourning that the date is becoming closer when I have to pack my bags and go. Now, however, that I booked my flight (going back 18 Feb) I've started longing for home more and more. I can't wait to see all my friends up north. Meanwhile, I've consciously or unconsciously started paying more and more attention to even small shortcomings of this country to level the emotions that will inevitably surface as I step into the Katunayake airport premises.

One of the good reasons (read: excuses) to go was the recent bomb blast that killed 19 civilians. Just before that the government had managed to pull of a major increase in the defense budget. The 20% increase would instill 160.000.000.000 Rs for the sole purpose of killing. Hooray!

When I heard about the bomb blast my first thought was "Shit, there's going to be a lot of traffic." as I was coming back from a training program and wanted to reach home as quickly as possible. My second thought was "Why is it that I don't care anymore? Why this slaughter has become so common place?". Who knows...

Off the topic... Lately different people have tried to "convert" me (or at least convince) behind different religions from Islam to some new-age Christianity. I was wondering if it really is some sort of a God who's trying to contact me through these people and say that I should change my ways, but then I realized it's just that maybe I'm more receptive for that kind of people right now. After all, my goals for my time in Sri Lanka revolved around the theme of becoming "physically, mentally and spiritually balanced entrepreneur".



Mentally I've learned a lot. I've learned how not to stress about small things or lack there of. I've learned to appreciate the simplicity and simple pleasures in life. I've learned how to smile more. I've this and that...



Physically, I've started going to the gym (which I thought I'd never do!) and I'm actually enjoying it. I also went back to my old liking, badminton. Kilos are not dropping but some
of the fat is being replaced by muscle. Most imp0rtantly, I've proved myself wrong regarding three "gym myths": 1) People who go to gym are not complete self-righteous assholes (though some of them are), 2) I don't hate the gym and 3) I don't completely suck in it.



Spiritually... yet to see. At least I've learned to respect religious people more though not being religious myself. Here four major religions are living in complete harmony and even an atheist like me don't have to feel insecure or worthless.

Period.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 04, 2007, Blogger Alexandra Sosnovskaya said...

Tomi, that's a comment not about the last post (it gave me some food for thoughts though), but about your blog in general. I mean, I havent checked for a while..and because of your email, I went to look up what's new.. So..what happened is that I have read several posts..and what is the result?? I have this feeling that I do miss you and our good time spent together with all amazing people whose portraites you have made in the blog. Very tricky.. Things, feelings and people come and go. But the memory still keeps the attitude.
And the second thought: it is so great that you going your way..I wish you best of luck.
Thank you.
By the way, how is the book?
Warm hugs, Sasha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home