Monday, August 20, 2007

Changing ways

For a person brought up in western society the Sri Lankan Sunday paper can be quite a shock to read. There you have the classified adds as in any other country but apart from the vehicles, apartments and home electronics the most space is used by potential brides and grooms (or more often their parents) who are looking for a partner. I'm quite fine with that now that I've been exposed to the Sri Lankan cultural oddities for more than a year, but today I was shocked. I saw the following add:

"Relationships are selfish and self-centered that’s my experience; Therefore I don’t believe in long lasting marriages and relationships. Explore each other’s personalities will give us a glimpse of a new life. This way of looking at life is hard. Marriage will be an endresult but if only we both feel it’s workable. I am in my late 30’s, a Sri Lankan. Lets try to come from our traditional barriers and cultures. Even you are in a marriage, still we can discuss this new approach of life. Lets talk."

What this guy is saying is against the public opinion here, and he clearly acknowledges that fact. Still, at the same time he's using the "traditional way" - classifieds - to get in touch with people who'd share his view. I don't know whether to be impressed, confused or something in between.

1 Comments:

At Monday, August 27, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Tommy,

I know this is late, but thought of commenting.

Dont' you think this could be an attemp made by some kind of researcher who is reseacrching about changes in Sri Lankan culture?

Malie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home