Thursday, June 28, 2007

Finnishing my life


On Monday evening I got a very unexpected but a pleasant surprise: A Serbian friend of mine invited us to Hilton to swim, for free! And there was a sauna!!! A proper sauna, with a proper stove. It was hot and it was allowed to throw water on the stove! It was such a good experience. For those completely unaware of Finnish culture, sauna is a cornerstone of it. For our whole lives we go to sauna at least once a week and we start that tradition on a very early age (six months or so). You can't believe how much a Finn misses sauna when being abroad, even in a hot and humid country like Sri Lanka. This was my second time in sauna in Sri Lanka. I'm still hyped up about it.

And yesterday the quality of my life jumped up a leapfrog. We got a coffee-maker! There was a Finnish guy who was leaving back to Finland and wanted to get rid of all his stuff. So I went there and picked up two coffee makers and a box full of groceries. Nice!

At the same time my friends keep sending me salmiakki, making me feel like home. At this time of the year I really miss the 24/7 sunlight. I guess all these factors defend the fact that while being far away from home, I'm trying to "Finnish" my life.

That's a stupid joke of mine that I use here a lot. Every time in a restaurant when the waiter asks "Are you finished?" it sounds like "Are you Finnish?". My response to that is always: "How did you know?" or "Are you Sri Lankan?". Boy, it makes them confused...

PS: I'm terribly sorry for the picture. It's just so Finnish. :)

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 14, 2007, Blogger Alexandra Sosnovskaya said...

I am just enjoying reading :)
But..er..well..I CANT explain to my collegues what the hell I am reading with such cutie at the picture!
Damn, damn it.. Dear office people!! it's just Tomi's blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home