Monday, April 23, 2007

Back... home?

Now my three-week Euro Trip is history and I'm safely back in Sri Lanka. Many people have been asking me "So, tell me about it." or "How was it?". I haven't been able to provide a comprehensive answer so far, so I reckoned maybe writing it out might help. So, here are my feelings in my typical non-chronological order:

Friends
The best thing about the whole thing was to meet my friends and once again realize how much they love me. It was a bit disturbing first to be amidst so many important people without knowing to whom to talk to. Actually, I was quite blocked and didn't know what to say and to whom. Then I just had to pick a few individuals to spend more time with... and it paid off. I felt that the deposits once made to the emotional bank account (thanks Covey!) had just gained interest and the friendship was still there, stronger than ever.

Home
When I was in Sri Lanka, I missed back home. When I was in Czech Republic with Paula, I couldn't help feeling like a tourist ('cos that's what I was), though she was there. When I was in Helsinki, I felt like I had never left the home. When I was in Lappeenranta, I just felt empty... as if time had stopped. That city was for long "my dream home", but now it was just... boring. In Joensuu, I missed back somewhere... without knowing if it was Helsinki or Sri Lanka. When I was in the plane, I knew I was going back home...

Family
Apart from being with Paula and my friends, one of the coolest parts of the vacation was to hang out with my mom. I know it sounds weird, especially when I had to see a bit of an extra effort to go and meet her in another city some 250 km away, but she was so cool. I can see now that it's from her where my emotional side comes from. Of course dad is emotional too, but only when he's drunk (unbearable at that point, otherwise a great lad to be with). But mom was just superb: she has really started a new chapter in her life. We had so much fun joking around with her and talking seriously almost simultaneously. Respect!

As for my siblings and their families, I have a bit mixed feelings. It was cool to see Joni (my nephew; Eija's son) growing up. He was no longer the momma's boy he used to be, though they still have a close-knit family unit with Pasi and his kids. I really liked the atmosphere there and it's pity I could only stay one night. When I went to my bro's place first on Sunday (when the kids were time to be home, and not at school) my dad hurried to go, so we only spent half an hour there. On one hand it was weird how they didn't show much emotions of seeing me again, but on one hand I just wanted to stay. Nevertheless, we had to go. When I came back a couple of days later and stayed for the night, there wasn't really time to socialize with my god-child Milla and the rest of them. In the morning they had left to school and work. I felt empty. I didn't even have a chance to say good-bye to them. I don't know if it's the North Karelian mentality or what, but I found it really hard connecting with them again... Anywho, I love them all and can't wait to be back to really see the kids growing up and spend quality time with my bro again.

Society
Everything in Europe is just so perfect. Everything works: The public transportation goes by the schedule (even throughout the night in some places), the streets and air are clean, people move about in order, and everything is just so structured and logical. I hate it! I really missed the imperfect society of Sri Lanka where many things are flawed but people still go on without worrying too much. Europe is somehow too cold (and I'm not only talking about the weather) for me. What can I say... it's good to be back. I wonder how I feel when I actually have to go leave this country. Well, I'll be back for sure.

Oh yeah, have to mention it here: I love sauna!!! I was in that extremely hot room nearly every night. I love it, I love it, I love it!

Nature
Another troubling side of Finland was that it was so quiet; there was no life! When I looked at the country from the airplane window on my arrival I thought it looks really pretty but as if raped by the winter. They say that spring is a great season because everything comes to life again, but at least for me it was still dead. Here in Sri Lanka you can here the sounds of life (both human and nature) that are so diverse. When you really listen you can easily pick up 50 sounds at a time. It gives me shivers just to think about the solitude and silence that surrounds Finland.

Entrepreneurship
I went to see the new office of Osasto (Department), an entrepreneurial community in Helsinki. Most likely we'll start Unleash Talent INC Finland there next spring. Costs are low and the support is very close. It just might be that it will soon be too small for our "loud culture". Especially, when my business partner is now decided. Petsa, my former mentor and and long-time friend, is joining me in that endeavor. I could have not asked for a better partner. He's intelligent, he can question things and he can be really crazy when needed. :)

First 1,5 weeks
Like I said, it's not chronological. I left the first 1,5 weeks last because it already feels so far away and it was like a whole another experience. In retrospect, Vienna didn't give me as much as Brno and Prague. Of course I liked it there, but to be honest, it's exactly one of those too organized European cities. I missed the chaos. However, I just fell in love with Czech Republic again. I've been there just briefly like nine years ago, but it was real good: especially the tasty food and beer really knocked me out. I have to say that Paula is living in a very nice environment, though her job might not be exactly what she dreams of.

In total it was a good experience to have amidst the work abroad. Now I will have more perspective and curiosity to examine the oddities in Sri Lankan environment. :) Thanks for everyone who made that trip possible and unforgettable!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home