Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The lighter side of Tamils

Like already mentioned before, LTTE is just one pissed-off fraction of Tamil population. Moreover, many Tamils live outside Sri Lanka, known as Tamil diaspora. So, I went off to search what are these guys doing on the enterntainment business. So, I started my search but got stuck with the first new face, Maya Arulpragasam (better known as M.I.A), an artist who mixes dance beats and electro hip hop grooves - music quite unfamiliar to me, but surprisingly catchy still. Born in London but brought up in Sri Lanka, her father was a Tamil Tiger and remained a mystery to her for most of her youth. The family was relocated to a shanty in India for a time, then back to Sri Lanka , and eventually out to the refugee ghettoes of West London. Her videos Galanga, Sunshowers and Bucky Done Gun can be found from You Tube.

Whilst youtubing M.I.A I came across with Aziz Ansari, an American chap who's doing stand-up comedy. You just got to see his miniseries Shutterbugs! It's hilarious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home