Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Good suggestions welcome

I was doing a bit of calculations about my personal finances during the upcoming internship. It seems that even though the salary is only 200 euros, it's enough to even save for holidays, visa extension and return ticket. Of course my calculations are most likely naive and terribly wrong, and when the reality hits, it hits hard. So, I've been thinking if there could be a way to make even 50 euros a month without having to see too much effort. It would help notably. Any suggestions?

It's funny how 50 euros in Finland is pocket money that you can waste easily during one day, but in Sri Lanka it's a notable amount of money. Here are some examples of the expected monthly expenditure: rent 30 EUR, food 42 EUR, laundry 4 EUR, and traveling within Colombo 4 EUR. Then again, for example beer is extremely expensive (in local standards). A bottle of beer costs 1,25 EUR! That's a fortune if you compare that an average daily salary of a local journalist is around 2,5 euros.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, June 15, 2006, Blogger Erica is Rich said...

I don't get the point of this entry. You have a lot of money and yet you want more?

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006, Blogger Tomi Astikainen said...

Yep,

Greedy bastard, ain't I? :)

My point was that I don't believe 200 euros is a lot of money concerning that I have 4500 debt in the form of a study loan, I need to fly back one day, I need to have some buffer money for non-continous expenditures (vaccines, hospital care, visa extension etc) and I am planning to put up my own company around 2008 that needs capital.

 
At Monday, July 03, 2006, Blogger Tomi Astikainen said...

Refer to the posting called "Assortment of thoughts". I could take more of this kind of translation jobs, for example! A few euros extra are always welcome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home