Monday, August 07, 2006

Working like hell... and enjoying like heaven!

Hi! I just came back from a two-day training program in the semi-jungles of Belihuloya. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me, but I'm sure to take it the next time I go there. The place is breathtakingly beautiful! And the weather is amazing, just like Finnish summer (I don't mean the rainy part of it). I actually had a chance, finally, to take a dip in a lake. Although everyone had to wear a life-jacket (most people here cannot swim!) while swimming. This was during the second training day when our task was to build a raft for 17 people and take it to a certain destination in 1,5 hours (built a good raft but failed time-wise).

On first day we had a treasure hunt. We were divided in two groups of 17 people each and we were supposed to find five clues and a treasure from the so-called jungle (basically just a path along the river, through the forest and some paddy fields) in a limited time. First of all, I have to say that it was so cool to see the real nature of Sri Lanka and have some exercise while doing so. It was a day full of learning for me, not that much of the topic itself (teamwork and leadership) but the Sri Lankan way of behaviour. First I thought writing this in Finnish so that none of the locals would be offended but then I realized it would be quite Sri Lankan to do so. :) See, I'm already adapting local behavior. Anywho, here is my off-the-cuff analysis of Sri Lankan way of working:
+ These guys have a lot of drive, passion and commitment. Team spirit is high and everyone enjoys what they are doing. Already on our way to Belihuloya the guys were singing and chanting in the bus. This is something I haven't really seen in any Finnish company. When they get down to work, everyone takes responsibility and doesn't want to let the others down.
- Although there's drive, there's not really that much deep thinking behind decisions. Everyone wants to voice their opinion and still decisions are made rather quickly, without "wasting time" in unnecessary tings like agreeing on team principles, developing a strategy to complete the mission or agreeing what exactly we are supposed to do. No one wants to admit that they don't know something. At the start of the treasure hunt we faced the major problems already in the beginning when the first landmark to be found was a Damba tree. According to them we found dozens of Damba trees, though in reality no one had a slightest idea how a Damba tree looks like. :)

Don't take this too seriously, it's just some of the first cultural observations I've made. The next couple of days I will be co-facilitating an indoors training in Colombo about business leadership. Again, I'm looking forward to that, now from a bit more professional perspective. I'd actually like to take a bit more responsibility in this one. Last weekend I was just a participant in the program so I get the delegate's perspective.

Actually Wednesday is supposed to be a Poya day (national holiday) but I'm working. However, after that I have four days off since I'm going to Dan's wedding. I try to take pictures from there. ;)

PS. I'm still trying to match the Wild Drift internship
TN-In-LK-CN-2006-1258. If you know anyone who has AIESEC background and who's into facilitation and adventure, drop me a note!

1 Comments:

At Monday, August 07, 2006, Blogger Janne Asmala said...

Damn! That's one cool internship you found for yourself! :-)

-Janne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home