Wednesday, August 30, 2006

F

(Today, as per request from Jogi, it is time to reveal the secrets of beautifully spelled letter F. If the push comes to shove I might even have to use the F-word.)

Family. I already mentioned that I'm missing my family back home. As I don't have my own kids yet, my family consists of Paula, mom, dad, sister, brother and their kids and spouses. It's funny how I've come to think family in this extended sense, although it's not that common in Finland, I think. Even more weird is how I immediately started paying more emphasis on family as I realized I'm going further away from them. I didn't have family as part of my key values, although majority of people does. If I know did some sorts of values odyssey I might find family being in top 10.

Friendship. I've never had too many true friends... Before uni I didn't have even that many acquaintances. Still friendship is maybe the most valuable thing in my life. I've come to notice that those people who I regard as my true friends, do live up to the status. :) They don't seem to care that I'm on the other side of the globe: they are as close as ever. There was a time, that I lost one of my true friends (or I thought I lost him) for 10 years, but later realized that the friendship has not disappeared anywhere. You know who you are, and I miss you! Another true childhood friend is now getting married and becoming a father... I lost contact with him as we realized we are too different people. He still made an effort to re-become friends and told how much he would like to be in touch, but I was too stupid and busy to run the extra mile that keeping the friendship alive sometimes requires (Although I do agree, to some extent, with the fellow who said "True friendship doesn't require correspondence.")

Fat. Like I might have mentioned earlier, I started again playing football and basketball as minor steps towards the more loftier goal of physical and spiritual balance, that I have set for the internship. I also walked a lot just to sweat away a couple of layers of my formidable investment, the beer belly. Now, after five weeks in Sri Lanka, I finally got a chance to step on a scale. To my amazement the scale showed only 80 kilos, with full clothing. Although I have been quite active I cannot believe that during one month I could have anyhow lost 9-10 kilos! That's insane. Ok, I admit, it was one of these "Mister, 2 rupees!" scales, so I wouldn't count on its reliability. Still, this is a good start.

Fish. Usually when you go to a restaurant and look at the menu, you have an option to choose between many different kinds of fish (or at least a few of them)... herring, cod, salmon, perch etc. Nonetheless, this country seems to have only one fish, that's called... umm... FISH! When you order rice and curry, you get to choose between chicken and fish (sometimes also veggie, egg, beef or something else). How can they compare chicken with fish? With this analogy ordering chicken should not be possible, but instead it would be fish and... bird. By the way, one day I went to a restaurant and took away some string hoppers, gravy and chicken parts. Yes, you heard right... Chicken parts. And they were not any kind of chicken parts (like leg or breast) but actually more like liver, spleen, heart, kidney etc. Never, ever, ever order chicken parts!!! Yucky!

Football. I'm trying to figure out how to be able to see the qualifying games to European Championship, at least the games of Portugal and Finland (who by the way are playing in the same group). Maybe it's hopeless here. As hopeless as Finns to qualify. Well, if you have any good tips, let me know!

Fun. I heard that an average four-year old kiddo laughs 300 times a day, whereas an average grown-up laughs only 5-15 times. Where does all the fun disappear? How could we encourage societies, work places and communities to be more tolerant towards laughter and actually encouarge people to enjoy and laugh. Sometimes it feels that this natural way of energizing people is too often oppressed. Shit I miss my team... that was fun guys!

Fumes. It's not fair that a human being adapts so quickly to new environments... No one should be able to adapt to pollution. When I came here it was a shock and I wanted to do something about it, now I don't even notice that the air, streets and water is so polluted. What to do?

Facilitation. In October there would be an oppor
tunity to facilitate in the National Leadership Development Seminar of AIESEC in Sri Lanka. I don't know if facilitation on my free time is anymore my thing, since I do it as my work. Chairing the conference, on the other hand, might be a good opportunity for deep learning... Well, maybe I should first be a facilitator and then see about chairing. Uh, I don't know. By the way, next Wednesday I'm going down south to Bentota for a fun Wild Drift program. We are staying in a luxurious hotel. I'm looking forward to that. Taking a dip in a swimming pool and having a hot bath would be something extraordinary (there's only cold water in the tap here!).

FCUK... is a quite cunningly named clothes brand. Go check the latest photos in August 2006 folder in Yahoo!

2 Comments:

At Thursday, July 08, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good websites for you
[url= http://carolyn.297m.com/62/index.html ]herbal arthritis pain V[/url] [url= http://carolyn.297m.com/65/map.html ]and plavix asa map o[/url] [url= http://aleve.200gigs.com/41/map.html ]allegra key investigator map 193[/url] [url= http://asthma.aeonhost.co.cc/82/map.html ]avandia drug diabetes k[/url] [url= http://clindamycin.20x.cc/800cc/56/index.html ]accutane term long m[/url]
Good luck

 
At Thursday, July 15, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All good health!
[url=http://forkalift.freeo.net/09/map.html]forklift impact sensor map 754[/url]
[url=http://forkalift.cyberspeed.org/23/index.html]fg 002 tcm r[/url]
[url=http://forkalift.freeo.net/06/index.html]battery changer forklift w[/url]
[url=http://forkalift.cyberspeed.org/index.html]8 forks forklift i[/url]
[url=http://foorkalift.dharkness.info/04/index.html]darr forklift lift 480[/url]
[url=http://forkalift.cyberspeed.org/25/map.html]used forklifts calgary map 528[/url]
[url=http://foorkalift.erufa.com/19/map.html]dealer jlg forklift map Z[/url]

See you later

 

Post a Comment

<< Home